December 2, 2022

Key government agencies in partnership with local governments continue to monitor establishments of their compliance with health and safety protocols.

Department of Labor and Employment-Benguet Director Emerito Narag reported last week they are implementing the joint Department of Trade and Industry and DOLE Advisory 21-01 s. 2021 on the continued vigilance against new Covid-19 variants through the reinforcement of minimum public health and safety standards and protocols.  

Narag said they target to monitor 330 establishments in Benguet specifically industries that have employer-employee relationships, starting in Tublay.

After each inspection, the monitoring teams would report their findings to the establishment operators so they could correct or improve on it.

The inspection will focus on an establishments’ compliance with health and safety standards, installation of signages bearing notices such as “proper wearing of face mask and shield,” installation of hand washing area, presence of safety officer, and trained first aid responder, among others.

In La Trinidad, Vice Mayor Roderick Awingan said 90 percent of registered establishments have been inspected by the monitoring team.

Awingan, head of the monitoring team said the group has observed that there is laxity in the implementation or compliance with health safety protocols.

In the first quarter of this year, 87 establishments were found to have violated health protocols. 

Not following the liquor ban, serving of liquor to minors, violation of anti-smoking ordinance, curfew, improper wearing of masks, no physical distancing, operating without business permit, operating although prohibited under present quarantine classification are among the violations committed. – Ofelia C. Empian