December 5, 2022

Undefeated boxer Carl Jammes Martin announced last week his camp is looking forward to have a new opponent next month after his supposed title bout with a fellow Filipino champion was cancelled.

The 21-year-old Martin was supposed to challenge reigning Philippine super bantamweight champion Mark Anthony Geraldo on May 29 but it was postponed when his opponent suffered injury in training.

Earlier reports said Geraldo’s hand injury might take two to three weeks to heal but Martin’s camp was later informed that it is impossible for the champion to defend his belt.

With this, Martin announced to his supporters and fans that his camp would still push through with the scheduled May 29 card in Laguna reason why they are looking for a possible opponent.

“We are sad to announce that our fight against Philippine champion Mark Geraldo will not push through due to hand injury he sustained in training. But the Team Worderboy wishes to push through with the fight card which boxing fans want to watch. We will keep you posted,” Martin said in his Facebook post.

It was not immediately known, however, if Martin will defend his Philippine Boxing Federation bantamweight belt or fight in the super bantamweight division.

Earlier, boxing analysts have noted that Martin seemed determined to move up to the super bantamweight division after ruling the bantamweight class for three years.

Aside from being the PBF champion, Martin also won the World Boxing Association-Asia bantamweight title in 2018 against Moon Chul Suh.

The Ifugao boxer also captured the vacant World Boxing Organization Oriental youth bantamweight belt, also in 2018 against Hashimu Zuberi and defended the belt on the same year against Huerban Qiatehe. – Harley F. Palangchao