The Philippine Sports Commission has officially confirmed the Philippine National Games and the Philippine Youth Games-Batang Pinoy set this year are cancelled.
Lawyer Guillermo Iroy, Jr., project director of the two national events, announced on May 11 the decision was reached due to the continuing threats of the coronavirus disease-2019 (Covid-19).
Iroy said the PSC decision supports the efforts of the government in containing the spread of Covid-19 declared by the World Health Organization as a pandemic.
“With the evolving Covid-19 situation in the country, the PNG and the BP 2020 have been cancelled,” Iroy said in a public advisory.
Baguio has been the consistent overall champion in BP and a decent finisher in the PNG.
Hundreds of Baguio athletes are regularly sent to compete for the Summer Capital with local athletes dominating most of the sports events, especially contact sports.
Last year, Baguio emerged the overall champion in BP national finals held in Puerto Princesa City, Palawan with 61 gold, 45 silver, and 66 bronze medals to retain its overall title.
Wushu athletes won 12 golds and Muay Thai athletes delivered another 10 gold medals for Baguio, which also pocketed the P3 million prize for being the overall champion.
Earlier, PSC Chair William Ramirez was reported to have announced that all PSC-funded sports set for the rest of the year have been cancelled.
Ramirez said the agency is complying with the directives of the Department of Budget and Management on the use of funds during the pandemic.
He added that PSC is also strictly complying with the guidelines set by the Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases on prohibited activities even beyond the enhanced community quarantine. – Harley F. Palangchao