December 1, 2023

An unattended candle caused the fire incident that totally damaged a residential structure at Honeymoon-Holyghost Barangay 12:30 a.m. last Aug. 27.

According to a report submitted to Mayor Benjamin Magalong by Punong Barangay Romulo Wayway, the candle was lit as offering for the repose of the soul of the house patriarch who died the day before in a hospital.

The candle may have toppled without the knowledge of the family and burned the table cloth starting the fire, the report said.

The report said the fire spread while the house occupants were asleep. Luckily, a private car passing by the place noticed the blaze and sounded his horn that eventually roused them from sleep.

Executive Asst. II Victor Jimenez of the Mayor’s Office who was at the scene was among the first responders who facilitated the reporting to the Baguio City Fire Station and monitored the developments from the firefighting operations to the delivery of assistance to the victims under the guidance of the mayor.

The fire displaced four families composed of 15 individuals.

Through the initiatives of the Department of Social Welfare and Development Office, the Office of the City Social Welfare and Development Officer Unit 1, Social Worker Mariette Mae Yapyap, barangay officials, and the City Mayor’s Office, the victims were immediately provided relief assistance food packs, hygiene kit, family kit, and sleeping kits.

Financial and emergency shelter assistance will follow.

Jimenez said they have arranged the transfer of the remains of the family patriarch who died in a hospital a day before the fire incident to their hometown with the help of the Bureau of Fire Protection.

Magalong thanked the response units from the Baguio Fire Station, City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office, Baguio City Police Office, Baguio Water District, Benguet Electric Cooperative, Sunshine volunteers, Baguio 911 On Call, DSWD, CSWDO, and his personal assistants for managing the crisis. – Aileen P. Refuerzo