The 220-strong Baguio City delegation is prepared to defend its title in the Batang Pinoy National Championships set on Dec. 17 to 22 in Vigan City, Ilocos Sur.
City Sports Division Head Gaudencio Gonzales said the city’s bets to the 17 events of the country’s national youth sports competition for athletes under 15 years old have been showing high morale after being sidelined for two years due to the pandemic.
Gonzales recalled that the city had been ruling the national sports events for years.
“There was only one occasion when it came out in second place but we were the champion in 2018 when the city hosted the event and in 2019 which was held in Pa-lawan,” he said.
Mayor Benjamin Magalong and City Administrator Bonifacio dela Peña are expected to join the delegation during the opening ceremonies.
“Everyone is excited as this will be the first national multi-sporting event to be held after two years of absence due to the pandemic,” Gonzales said.
Seventeen events are lined up which will be played either in-person or virtually.
Events to be conducted virtually are arnis, dancesport, judo, karate, muay, pencak silat, taekwondo and wushu.
In-person events are archery, athletics, badminton, chess, cycling, table tennis, swimming, weightlifting, and game sports.
Unlike the Palarong Pambansa, which only involves student athletes, the Batang Pinoy includes the out-of-school youth.
It is jointly undertaken by the local government units, the Department of Education and the Phi-lippine Sports Commission. – Aileen P. Refuerzo