The Benguet provincial board has appealed to the national Inter-Agency Task Force on the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases to downgrade the quarantine status of the province, which is currently under modified enhanced community until June 15.
In a resolution passed on June 7 and directed to Health Sec. Francisco Duque III and Cabinet Sec. Karlo Alexei Nograles, the board shared the concerted efforts of the different local government units and agencies to lower Covid-19 cases in the province.
It cited the report of Provincial Health Office where the average daily attack rate (ADAR) of the province as of June 1 is 5.41 percent and its two-week daily growth rate as of June 2 is 41 percent.
The resolution also said the healthcare utilization rate as of June 2 is at 60 percent where 67.71 percent of bed wards are being used while 42.11 percent isolation beds are in use.
It added the utilization rate of ICU beds is 58.33 percent and almost 60 percent of mechanical ventilators are in use.
As of June 1, the case fatality rate is at 2.4 percent while positivity rate is at 10.86 percent.
The province has vaccinated a total of 4,256 individuals for Sinovac and 4,249 for AstraZeneca for the first dose and 3,919 for Sinovac and 29 for AstraZeneca for the second dose.
“The current quarantine status greatly affected the economy of Benguet and the mobility of its residents, wherein business establishments, local transportation, among others, have limited time of operation and are subjected to other restrictions such as no dine in policy,” the resolution stated.
The provincial board said given the proximity between the different municipalities of Benguet to Baguio, which is under general community quarantine, residents from the province travel to the city to avail of its various amenities.
“The province continuously monitors and implements health standards and protocols, as well as information education campaigns, in coordination with the LGUs and other concerned agencies,” it stated.
Gov. Melchor Diclas, during the recent Provincial IATF meeting last week, said the 13 mayors have echoed his sentiment that their constituents are already complaining the impacts of MECQ in their livelihood. – Ofelia C. Empian