June 24, 2024

Benguet officials are reminding the public to be wary of dengue after 318 cases were recorded from January to March this year.

Citing reports from the Provincial Health Office, Gov. Melchor Diclas said dengue cases rose to 347.89 percent with one death during the first quarter as compared to the 71 cases during the same period last year. 

Diclas said while the community is living under the new normal, residents should still put their guards up against dengue and other mosquito-borne illnesses.

He called on the continuous implementation of the enhanced 4S against dengue.

The 4S are: search and destroy mosquito breeding sites; self-protection measure or wearing of long pants, long sleeves and using mosquito repellant; seek early consultation and support fogging and spraying only in hotspot areas where an increase in cases is registered for two consecutive weeks to prevent an impending outbreak.

Diclas said the provincial government has activated the “Aksyon Barangay Kontra Dengue” program in all 13 municipalities in support of the Department of Health’s fight against dengue.

The ABKD will remind the public in their respective localities of the four o’clock habit or the habitual search and destruction of mosquito breeding sites through siren, bell, and horn, among others.

He said establishments which are not operational or fully operational should not be left unattended, as these can become breeding grounds for mosquitoes.

“Dengue is a health threat and can be an outbreak like Covid-19, but dengue is preventable,” Diclas said.

The DOH-Cordillera reported that dengue cases in the region increased by 332 percent during the first quarter of the year.

There were 883 dengue cases recorded from January to April this year with three deaths, which is higher than the 204 cases logged during the same period in 2021. – Ofelia C. Empian