Committee discovers 26 new structures in 3 watersheds
Mayor Benjamin Magalong said a total of 26 illegal constructions discovered in three watersheds during anti-squatting operations last month will be removed as soon as possible.
City Legal Officer Althea Alberto said the said structures are now subject to issuance of demolition orders by the city’s Anti-Squatting and Anti-Illegal Structure Committee, which the City Legal Office heads.
The order will be based on the investigation report submitted by the City Buildings and Architecture Office (CBAO) last May 5.
Engr. Donald Gas-ib, head of the CBAO Investigation and Demolition Division, said the structures were discovered in various operations by teams from the CBAO, City Environment and Parks Management Office, City Engineering Office, and the Baguio City Police Office.
Eleven structures were found in Busol watershed Baguio side which straddles Ambiong and Pacdal barangays. Nine were located in Camp 8 watershed and six were sighted in Buyog which spans Pinget and West Quirino Hill barangays.
Some of the discovered structures were large and made of concrete materials.
The CBAO said ongoing constructions found in safeguarded areas are immediately endorsed for demolition through the issuance of first and final notice of violation with a directive to voluntarily demolish within 72 hours.
Those found in private lots, on the other hand, are issued cease and desist orders with the owners directed to first secure building permits and other requirements.
Magalong earlier ordered intensified watch over watersheds as a deterrent against squatting which continues to threaten what was left of the forest reservations. – Aileen P. Refuerzo