Mayor Benjamin Magalong reminded contractors undertaking projects in the city to strictly follow safety standards and procedures in their construction sites.
The mayor directed the City Engineering Office (CEO) under City Engr. Edgar Victorio Olpindo and the City Buildings and Architecture Office (CBAO) under Arch. Johnny Degay to ensure all workers in ongoing projects are wearing personal protective equipment like protective clothing, helmets, goggles, or other garments or equipment designed to protect the workers from injury or infection.
Contractors will be held accountable for violation of the directive, the mayor said.
At the start of his term last year, Magalong issued the same marching orders.
He said this is to prevent unnecessary accidents and even death caused by non-observance of safety standards in construction sites.
Ordinance 3 s. 2019 approved last Jan. 14 by the city council requires all construction companies in the city to provide independent construction safety officers at their project sites to ensure compliance with the safety standards.
The measure covers all construction activities including demolition, whether owned by the private or the government sector, and within the jurisdiction of the city government.
It requires the employer or contractor to employ at least one independent construction safety officer possessing the necessary qualifications and competencies on the construction site depending on the number of workers.
As per procedure, the contractor will notify in writing the CBAO of their construction operations/activities including the employment of a safety engineer within 15 days after any construction operations have commenced.
The CBAO in coordination with the CEO will conduct a concentrated inspection/enforcement campaign in areas where reports of construction is in danger or at high risk.
Violators will be fined P5,000 and will face imprisonment of six months or both. – Aileen P. Refuerzo