January 29, 2023

The Department of Labor and Employment is reminding workplaces and the public to not let their guards down even as the government has eased the restrictions against the Covid-19 pandemic.
DOLE Sec. Beinvenido Laguesma said while the agency has not received any reports of workplace infections, labor officials continue to monitor workplaces as the threat of the Covid-19 remains.
He reminded all employees in the government and private sector to continue observing the minimum health protocols to ensure they are safe from the threats of the Covid-19 and prevent disruptions in business operations.
“We cannot overemphasize the importance of observing health protocols, especially since the symptoms of the ordinary flu and Covid-19 are the same. We do not want lockdowns to happen again,” Laguesma said.
Even employees would not want to be down even with the ordinary flu as this would entail a disruption to their sources of income.
Laguesma, who was in Baguio last week to oversee the turnover of a livelihood project to the horse handlers at Wright Park, also reminded the visitors to the city to not be complacent.
He said with the easing of restrictions, Baguio is one of the areas experiencing the influx of people who are on the so-called “revenge travel”during the holidays.
“Sa dami ng tao sa Baguio, mahirap nang sundin ang health protocols like physical distancing, but it’s our duty to still remind the visitors to observe the protocols. It is always better to be safe than sorry,” Laguesma said.
Based on the Department of Health’s Covid-19 tracker, the positivity rate in the country as of Dec. 27 was 13.8 percent.
The DOH reported it has detected in the Philippines the Omicron subvariant BF7, which has been causing the surge in Covid-19 cases in China. The government has not restricted the entry of travelers from China. – Jane B. Cadalig