July 23, 2024

SAN QUINTIN, Abra – A total of 128 families at Zone 2, Barangay Tangadan this town were forcibly evacuated on Aug. 1 due to threat of landslide, following the magnitude 7.0 earthquake that shook Luzon on July 27.

Aerial assessment by the Philippine Institute for Volcanology and Seismology showed there are huge cracks in a nearby mountain that pose danger to the community.

For the safety of the residents, Mayor Jovellen Aznar requested the provincial government for assistance for the forced evacuation of families in the area.

Members-agencies of the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (DRRMC) and Regional DRRMC proceeded to the barangay to inform and assist the residents in the evacuation.

Tangadan Punong Barangay Geronimo Pajara said the families were temporarily moved to an open area at Zone 1 in the same barangay.

Aznar said relief goods, hygiene kits, and sleeping kits were distributed to earthquake-affected families in the municipality.

Patuloy ang pamimigay natin ng mga relief supplies sa mga families na apektado galing sa LGU. So far, wala po kaming recorded na casualty dito and we are closely monitoring the landslide-prone areas,” Aznar said. The needs of the barangay and Municipal DRRMC were also assessed for possible provision of assistance. – Christian Allister Tubadeza