May 27, 2024

Four more public schools in Baguio City opened to limited face-to-face classes while 49 others have been nominated to start in-person classes in the coming days after they complied with the requirements.
The Department of Education Baguio Schools Division under Supt. Federico P. Martin said Baguio City National High School and Sto. Tomas NHS and Alfonso Tabora and Dominican Mirador elementary schools started in-person classes in various dates last week joining forerunners Sto. Tomas and Gibraltar ES.
The rest are in various stages of compliance on safety seal requirements, assessments, orientation and simulations.
The city has a total of 67 public schools composed of 45 elementary and 22 secondary schools.
Mayor Benjamin Magalong who joined the city schools team led by Martin in conducting inspections and readiness validations of the different schools promised support not only on the requirements but also on the improvement of their physical facilities.
The mayor said the city is working on loaning to the schools some of the beds lent to the city by the Department of Public Works and Highways which were used in isolation facilities which have been retired due to the drop in Covid-19 cases for them to comply with the isolation requirement. 
Some beds owned by the city had been transferred to some of the schools.
The mayor also committed to help secure funds for the repair and maintenance of classrooms as well as construction of newer buildings.
Also present during the inspection of schools were School Governance and Operations Division Education Program Supervisor Niño Tibangay and division supervisor, disaster risk reduction management coordinators and medical officers composing the composite team.
Among the schools visited were the Baguio Central School headed by Principal Esther Litilit, Pinget ES headed by Philip Sagalla and Pinsao ES under Annie Laurie Bisquera which at the time were preparing and complying with the indicators of the DepEd’s School Safety Assessment Tool. – Aileen P. Refuerzo