October 7, 2022

Benguet officials continue to appeal to President Ferdinand Marcos, Jr. and the Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth) for the lifting of the suspension of the accreditation of the Benguet General Hospital.

Gov. Melchor Diclas said a letter of appeal was sent to the President, including Sen. Bong Go, chair of the Senate Committee on Health, and PhilHealth President and CEO Dante Gierran for the lifting of the suspension.

PHILHEALTH SERVICES SUSPENDED — Benguet officials continue to appeal to the Philippine Health Insurance Corporation to reconsider its order suspending its partnership with Benguet General Hospital due to the latter’s administrative offense in 2011. The suspension of PhilHealth services for three months, from Sept. 1 to Nov. 29, will cause an estimated loss of collection of P42 million that would be used to pay for the employees’ benefits and for the operational cost of the hospital. — Ofelia C. Empian

This is after PhilHealth imposed a three-month suspension of BeGH’s accreditation from Sept. 1 to Nov. 29 due to an administrative offense in 2011.  

The management and operation of BeGH, as an economic enterprise, is under the watch of the provincial government. 

Diclas said officials are hopeful for a positive response, as they were told the PhilHealth board of directors would meet to discuss the case of BeGH.

In the letter, Dic-las proposed that the penalty of three months suspension be converted into a fine, which is to be added to the penalty of fine already imposed against the hospital.

The suspension of BeGH accreditation stemmed from a PhilHealth decision dated Oct. 18, 2011 which found the hospital liable for administrative offense of “extending period of confinement” under Section 142, Rule 28 of the implementing rules and regulation of the National Health Insurance Act as amended by Republic Act 9241.

This is in relation to item 42 of the warranties of accreditation and is meted with the penalty of suspension for three months and a fine of P10,000.

The BeGH management appealed the decision on Oct. 8, 2012, but was denied by the PhilHealth board through Resolution 2065-2016. The decision became final and executory on April 3, 2016.

On Dec. 10, 2020, BeGH received an order from PhilHealth granting the issuance of Writ of Execution of the 2011 decision.

The decision included a fine of P10,000 and the suspension of accreditation for three months starting March 15, 2021 until June 12, 2021.

Last year, Benguet officials appealed to former president Rodrigo Duterte and PhilHealth to lift the suspension. Their appeal was considered by the PhilHealth board.

On July 8, 2022 the provincial LGU received the writ of execution issued by PhilHealth, reiterating the implementation of the three-month suspension.

Vice Gov. Ericson Felipe said the provincial board would also pass a resolution for Malacañang to intervene on the matter.

BeGH management has posted an advisory in its vici-nity informing the public of the notice of the suspension of accreditation.

“During this period, all services are still available, however, clients cannot avail of the PhilHealth benefits,” the notice stated.

Diclas said the provincial government is looking at available funds, through Rep. Eric Yap, to be used as medical assistance for indigent patients. He said this would especially assist dialysis patients who are mostly affected by the PhilHealth order. – Ofelia C. Empian