November 27, 2022

Prank and dropped calls dominated call logs of the Baguio City Emergency 911, which piloted recently, prompting an appeal from Mayor Benjamin Magalong for users not to mess around with the line to avoid impeding legitimate calls, especially urgent ones.

“It is expected that people would want to test the line out of curiosity and it is fine as long as you signify that these are test calls. However, if your intention is to jam the line, confuse, or just play a trick to the responders, then please refrain from doing so,” the mayor said.

Executive Asst. V Felipe Puzon of the City Mayor’s Office who oversees the smart city command center said the Baguio 911 line logged 8,673 calls since it was granted the “go live” status last Oct. 12.

Of the number, 3,907 were prank calls and 3,038 were dropped calls.

Based on the command center’s journal, there were more than 600 case-related calls.

Legitimate calls dealt on medical emergencies, police assistance, vehicular crashes, crimes, nuisance, suicide cases, and rescue assistance.

Puzon said following the grant of the go live status to the smart city command center by Emergency 911 National Executive Director Diosdado Valeroso, the city was able to work out the activation of the system with the Phi-lippine Long Distance Telephone along with the integration of all emergency hotlines.

Cross connection had been completed between PLDT and Smart Communications so that emergency calls made through Smart can be received at Baguio 911.

Similar arrangements are now in the works with Globe Telecommunications with the involvement of the Emergency 911 national office and the Department of the Interior and Local Government.

Magalong said with Baguio 911, residents will be able to access programs and services such as emergency response, disaster preparedness, smart mobility and transit and health care, which will be integrated through the Baguio in my Pocket application. – Aileen P. Refuerzo