February 22, 2024

The city government will demolish around 100 structures within the declared buffer zone of the Loakan Airport as part of the preparatory works for the opening of the airport to commercial operations.
Mayor Benjamin B. Magalong said the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) submitted to the city government a document showing the area where structures are said to obstruct flights.
He said notices will be issued for the owners to voluntarily remove their structures.
The city government negotiated with the Department of Transportation to turnover the management and operation of the Loakan Airport to the city so it can look for a third party operator to manage the facility.
The city government had also been making representations with San Miguel Corporation for the company which is currently constructing another international airport in Bulacan to do the same with the Loakan Airport once the CAAP and the DOTR approves the commercial operation of the airport.
Regular commercial operations at the Loakan airport ceased over a decade ago because of issues on safety although there are still chartered and military flights.
Aside from the removal of the structures within the buffer zone, one major concern is the need to install an Instrument Landing System that will guide aircrafts in maneuvering in and out of the airport even in bad weather.
Another issue that airline companies are considering is the guaranteed seat sales or the assurance from concerned offices that there will be enough passengers in their flights.
Asian Spirit is the last commercial flight at the Loakan Airport. It stopped its flights to Baguio after it was acquired by Zest Air.
In his visit in Baguio in February last year, National Economic Development Authority Sec. Ernesto Pernia said potential clientele for airlines that will consider a Baguio route are those from the Visayas (Cebu and Boracay) and Mindanao (Davao).
In 2018, an aeronautical team from CAAP conducted a survey at the airport to determine the viability of resuming commercial flights.
The survey is an offshoot to the order of President Rodrigo Duterte issued in 2017 where he asked the CAAP to review the proposed rehabilitation of the airport. – PIO release