February 25, 2024

The Bureau of Fire Protection-Baguio Fire Station warned the public against buying and installing Christmas lights without the Philippine Standard (PS) Quality and/or Safety Mark and Import Commodity Clearance (ICC) Sticker from the Department of Trade and Industry.

The warning came as the BFP Baguio heightened its alert status to ensure peaceful and safe yuletide celebrations.

Senior Fire Officer I Lloyd Ashley Furigay, public information officer of BFP Baguio, said the agency encourages the public to buy only DTI-approved Christmas lights and paraphernalia despite the proliferation of unregulated online shops. 

Kapag walang ICC sticker or DTI accreditation, hindi tayo sigurado sa kalidad ng produkto at maaaring substandard ang mga ito na maaring maging sanhi ng sunog,” Furigay said.

He likewise warned the public against the use and sale of firecrackers as this is already prohibited in the city.

For centralized fireworks display, Furigay said only licensed and permitted individuals or organizations are allowed to do so with safety assistance from BFP Baguio.

BFP Baguio also reminds the public on fire prevention measures such as: avoid overloading of power supply outlets; avoid burning garbage or dried leaves; disconnect electrical gadgets before leaving homes; avoid unattended cooking particularly when using wood; and, regularly check electrical wirings at home if repair is needed at least every three to five years.

Furigay also reminded the public of the city’s anti-smoking ordinance as throwing lighted cigarette butts on garbage or dried grass had caused fire incidents during the first quarter of the year.

When lighting candles for cultural or religious offerings, he said the candle must be placed in a container with water at the bottom to avoid fire incidence in case left unattended.

He added that even vehicles should be checked to avoid overheating.

When hiking or camping with nature, Furigay said there should be no trash or garbage left behind and that bringing cooking paraphernalia is discouraged.

He said even glass bottles can magnify heat and can cause grass or structural fire. “Fire safety starts at home, parents should teach their children on fire prevention,” Furigay said. – Jessa Mardy P. Samidan