December 2, 2022

Many displaced workers in the tourism industry have yet to receive their cash aid from the Department of Tourism.
Of the 33,810 beneficiaries in the list of the DOT-CAR, only 9,917 have received their P5,000 aid through the Department of Labor and Employment, said DOT representative Sylvia Chirayon.
Chirayon said the funds allotted for the agency under the Bayanihan 2 have run out reason why the rest have yet to receive their aid.
She assured those they have listed will still receive cash assistance from government and will be informed once the funds have been downloaded in the regional offices.
Baguio has listed the most number of beneficiaries for cash assistance with 16,622 where only 3,931 individuals have been paid; Benguet with 7,328 and 1,800 paid; Mountain Province with 2,829 and 1,514 paid; Ifugao with 2,761 and 863 paid; Kalinga with 2,611 and 1,145 paid; Apayao with 1,338 and 229 paid; and Abra with 321 and 135 paid.
Tourism is one of the hardest hit sectors because of travel restrictions imposed since last year. Apart from those formally employed in hotels, resorts, and restaurants, businesses that rely on tourism but are listed under those in the informal sector are tour guides, artisans, drivers, and personal care attendants have also been badly affected by the Covid-19 pandemic.
Select local government units have reopened their tourism industry but with the restrictions, this is not yet enough for those in the industry to at least earn.
In Baguio alone, Chirayon said only 36,952 tourists came to visit since the city reopened in October 2020, compared to the 1.7 million tourist arrivals in 2019.
The entire Cordillera is also not accepting tourists at the moment while the region is under general community quarantine. – Rimaliza A. Opiña