July 16, 2024

Keep those windows open to lessen your chances of contracting the Covid-19, health authorities advised.

City Epidemiologist Donnabel Tubera of the Baguio City Health Services Office said the lack of proper ventilation in homes or in places or work had been a common observation in most of the city’s Covid-19 case clusters.

“Most have confined spaces, closed windows with electric fans running,” she said.

To eliminate it as a risk factor, people must regularly aerate or allow ventilation as one of the engineering controls against the virus.

“Open windows; remove curtains; and position your chairs, tables, or beds near windows or areas near open spaces. These are some of the engineering controls we can do,” she said.

At work, administrative measures can be employed by lessening the number of employees reporting for work and imposing work-from-home and other schemes.

She said some business establishments where cases occurred were observed to be allowing full workforce operations and this should be avoided.  

She added Covid-19 transmission depends on factors like the amount of viral load of an infected person, time element which is 15 minutes of close contact with the carrier, lack of distancing (safe distance is at least one meter), crowding, lack of ventilation, and low immune system.

Aside from these engineering and administrative controls, proper wearing of face masks and shields and other personal protective equipment, frequent hand washing, and observance of cough etiquette are equally important.

Self-assessment is also a must where one must watch out for symptoms and do protective measures like wearing of PPEs, distancing, and undergoing self-quarantine to avoid transmitting the virus to their family members or co-employees. 

“The virus does not have brains, but we have.  We can avoid it.  Know what to do,” she said.

Asked if the worst is over for the city, Panes said there is no assurance until vaccines are administered to make residents immune to the disease.

She said at present, 92 percent of the city’s total cases had recovered.

“Fatality is at 1.36 percent, which means you have a 1.36 percent chance of dying from the virus while 98.63 percent lived,” she said adding that people with old age have 18 percent chance of dying from the virus depending on factors like immune system and living condition.

Fifty percent of the patients were in the 20 to 39 year-old group or the working age group. – Aileen P. Refuerzo